print

The Crystal Palace & The Temple of Doom

Curator: Hlia Cohen-Schneiderman 2.7.2015 - 24.10.2015

Something happened to the wall on the far left-hand side of the main hall. The eye that peeps through the holes in the wall comes across fragments of a black-and-white photograph. On its other side stands a full scale diorama* of an exhibition of captured enemy weapons, “spoils of war”, held in 1957 in this very museum. It turns out that these weapons were stored in the museum's storeroom mixed with the art collection, coexisting with artworks until the early 2000s. Only a few of them have a full record of how they entered the museum, and how they left it.
The photograph, which was found in the city’s archive, reveals a cramped space where dozens of weapons are exhibited alongside a sign which reads “spoils of war”. Comparison with other photographs allows us to identify the space as “Yad Lebanim Museum” which over time evolved into the Petach Tikva Museum of Art. However, the digital manipulation which BarOr performed on the archival image, had emptied it of the content of the display. There is no honor among thieves.
*A three dimensional model in full or small scale.


top